Naturally, we’ve been serious about soccer in popular culture, speaking about soccer films and fictional sports activities groups, in addition to celebrities who performed the game. However you may also be serious about loopy stats or the historical past of soccer. There’ve been some loopy video games, and a few lethal video games. And once we’re speaking soccer gamers, we’ve to speak crime, together with what O.J.’s been as much as … and in addition somebody who did worse than what O.J. was accused of.
This is a glance again on the information we realized this week. These quick summaries should not meant to be appreciated by themselves—each hyperlinks to a full article we put out this previous week with way more information, so click on each one that pursuits you, otherwise you’ll be benched for the remainder of the season.
1. Wished fugitives accepted free soccer tickets and have been arrested.
As an alternative of looking them down, the USA Marshals Service despatched letters to the fugitives’ final identified addresses, telling them they’d received tickets to a Redskins recreation. The ruse fooled greater than 100 criminals.
2. An actual crew referred to as the Varsity Blues sued the movie Varsity Blues.
That’s although the crew within the film isn’t referred to as the Varsity Blues in any respect (it’s only a phrase, about taking part in varsity). The true College of Toronto Varsity Blues additionally stood little likelihood of being mistaken for the fictional highschool Texas crew.
3. A pair completely different gamers with CTE have killed themselves.
By capturing themselves within the chest, not the pinnacle. Dave Duerson left a observe saying, “Please, see that my mind is given to the NFL’s mind financial institution,” and learning it after loss of life revealed that he did undergo undergo from power traumatic encephalopathy.
4. Precise Pittsburgh Steelers gamers acted because the soccer gamers in The Darkish Knight Rises.
5. O.J. by no means paid his wrongful loss of life judgment.
He owed $35 million (greater than double that now, with curiosity), however he’s paid barely any of it, and Florida regulation protects his belongings from seizure.
6. Soldier Area’s renovation obtained it delisted as a historic landmark.
Few folks have been followers of the overhaul, saying the brand new stadium regarded like a spaceship had landed on it. Which may sound like a praise, but it surely wasn’t.
7. A school participant holds the file for longest discipline purpose.
Actually, even the file for longest discipline purpose by a excessive schooler (68 yards) beats the NFL file (66 yards).
8. An NFL participant died on the sector, and everybody went on taking part in.
Chuck Hughes had a coronary heart assault on the sector with 62 seconds left on the clock, and nobody referred to as the sport—they needed to let the gamers again on the sector until the clock ran out.
9. Joel McHale performed within the Rose Bowl in faculty.
10. Tremendous Bowl headliners do not make jack.
Performers like Eminem or Beyoncé are paid union scale (i.e., the identical quantity some background dancer in any live performance makes). They nonetheless do it, pleased for the prospect to promote their music so broadly.
11. Followers first got here up with the concept of sticking a radio within the QB’s helmet.
For some time, groups competed by constructing sign jammers to cease coaches from speaking with gamers—until they realized that sign jammers are unlawful even exterior soccer.
12. The largest NFL recreation in historical past occurred in Mexico Metropolis.
Extra folks stuffed the stands for this preseason recreation in a Mexico Metropolis stadium than in any Tremendous Bowl.
13. The massive inspirational scene in Rudy was sarcastic.
In actual life, gamers carried Rudy onto the sector as a prank. Plus, at no level did gamers urge the coach to let him play—the coach was really the one who supported Rudy.
14. An NFL participant murdered 4 folks within the ’80s.
Robert Rozier spent 10 years in jail for this, then obtained caught bouncing checks so obtained sentenced to an additional 25-to-life.
Prime picture: Alexander Jonesi
Advisable For Your Pleasure