Watch out for spoilers for the second season within the article. Please don’t proceed studying should you haven’t watched the season but and you aren’t okay with being spoiled.
The fantasy collection returned for its seven episode second season on Netflix on the sixteenth of September 2022 , after a really controversial first season. How did this season truthful?
Character Report card ( in no explicit order )
Bloom’s powers are very cool however I really feel as a personality she is not the most effective/most likeable character within the Winx group and that goes even proper again to the supply materials and is one thing the stay motion collection didn’t enhance upon. A part of the issue is we do not get the women merely hanging out and studying about one another, since that is an Netflix present that is binged the writers don’t fairly have the excuse that doing that might put individuals off from tuning in week to week. After I really feel it could truly be an efficient and straightforward means of bonding and creating the principle characters connection in direction of one another.
Bloom’s character because the lead looks like a personality meant to service the plot, not a lot a personality with a magical future who remains to be a daily relatable teenage lady. That is one thing Buffy the Vampire slayer managed to take action successfully within the 90’s ,Buffy Summers was highly effective however she was additionally very relatable and likable and really had a persona.
Bloom at instances comes throughout as a bit egocentric whereas Buffy killed Angel to save lots of the world, the vibe with Bloom is she would in all probability let everybody die to save lots of Sky , Bloom willingly giving Sebastian ( a assassin ) her energy to save lots of Sky basically locations the blood of all the individuals who Sebastian would kill with the dragon flame on her arms (it is a egocentric transfer on her half as a result of she is not in a position to let Sky go ). There can be nothing stopping Sebastian from killing Sky anyway after getting the dragon flame, he was that petty as a villain. Bloom additionally risking unleashing her energy in anger to assault Sebastian and doubtlessly kill loads of harmless individuals caught within the crossfire of her energy is not nice both. Though the present counteracts on the very finish of the season with Bloom getting into the “wormhole” and saving everybody, it doesnt wipe away her previous behaviour. I do not suppose I’d have an issue with this path for Bloom if they’re going to have a darkish Bloom arc for her going ahead and the writers truly comply with via with it.
Rosalind and Stella’s mom the Queen of Solaria inserting a crystal on her again to maintain her trapped on the faculty was merciless. Stella retains that secret to herself as a result of she has at all times felt alone as a Princess and the notion of getting buddies she will speak in confidence to is a brand new factor for her is gloomy. Stella’s friendship with Beatrix is definitely attention-grabbing and permits the present to discover who Beatrix is and why she has executed every part she has executed over the previous 2 seasons. Stella and Beatrix are each the loneliest characters on the present and it is smart that they’re able to relate to one another on that stage. Stella being the one one visually harm when she sees Beatrix’s physique and that ache finally lighting a fireplace inside her to remodel was an excellent delicate second.
Aisha’s major story this season is centered round her relationship with Gray who seems to be a blood witch. The romance and betrayal occurs throughout the span of seven episodes so it would not fairly really feel earned. I additionally by no means purchased that Gray would possibly truly be unhealthy anyway , the present would not do the most effective job promoting that battle significantly as a result of there isn’t a time to present it the display screen time it deserves so it felt rushed. The actors do have chemistry although to their credit score. I really like Aisha and I want the present would discover her household and background a bit extra.
Musa additionally has some attention-grabbing story-lines this season. From the ethical query of whether or not utilizing her powers on her buddies and boyfriend (Sam) is appropriate to dropping her powers completely and turning into fearful of getting them again. All these issues push her in direction of discovering an attention-grabbing option to defend herself by studying to bodily battle. I feel it is an impressed concept to make her a specialist/ fairy combine which units her aside from the opposite women who appear to rely totally on their powers however aren’t the most effective bodily fighters. I feel the one motive they’re placing Musa and Riven collectively for the stay motion present is as a result of the animated collection did it. I do not suppose I care a lot for them on the stay motion present, perhaps that may change with time. Musa’s coiffure was horrible this season , it didnt swimsuit the actress and made her look significantly older, which is odd as a result of that is purported to be a present about youngsters though a lot of the actresses are of their twenties.
The present added some extra range this season after the present was closely criticised for not being as various because the animated collection final season , by casting a biracial actor as Aisha’s love curiosity , casting a latin actress to potray Flora and exploring Terra’s sexual id. In Flora’s case I must give the present credit score for the way naturally she suits in with the remainder of the women. Though Flora is usually a background character this season, I hope the present finds extra stuff for her to do subsequent season. I actually appreciated this character and I am inquisitive about seeing had been her jorney takes her.
Relating to Terra exploring her sexual id ,the execution of the story is okay the first situation affecting the way it comes throughout is the truth that the storyline feels prefer it got here out of knowwhere for Terra’s character previous to this season (there was zero construct up for Terra’s arc of self-discovery). It is unlucky the writers did not introduce Flora in season 1 so Terra could possibly be seen as a particular person character from the beginning with out the “alternative scandal” bogging down the character as a result of there’s potential to have a very nice character there. Musa’s character has the identical situation too to be truthful though the actress remains to be an individual of shade and has some asian ancestry. I feel the casting scandal was pointless and fully avoidable for the present sadly it can at all times be part of the reveals legacy.
One other fear with Terra’s character going ahead additionally sterms from the present in all probability not having any preliminary plans to adapt Flora into the collection in any respect as a result of each of the characters (Flora and Terra) are earth fairies which basically makes each of them comparable magic power-set sensible. The present might suprise us by discovering attention-grabbing methods to distinguish their magic however I feel the simplest root the author ought to have taken was for Terra to be Tecna from the animated collection and simply have know-how primarily based magic powers. The inventive option to take away the science fiction parts from the collection had the adverse impact of creating the collection really feel extra like a generic fantasy primarily based collection (removes all the uniqueness of the Winx model).
Beatrix “Stormy” continues to be my favourite character from the primary season on this collection , she is a foul lady with a coronary heart and we love her for it. Her battle between selecting to take care of herself as she has at all times executed or selecting her new buddies is especially attention-grabbing. It is unlucky what occurs to her on the finish of the season and I actually hope the present brings her again and like they teased, the writers lastly comply with via with introducing Icy and Darcy as her sisters. I am glad it looks like they did not comply with the animated collection retcon of adjusting the Trix and never making them organic sisters. Beatrix is the actual MVP hero of this season as a result of she sacrifices her life to maintain Sebastian from getting the dragon flame.
The highpoint of Rosalind’s story this season was her last scene with Bloom from her revealing she killed Farrah final season and likewise underestimating Bloom’s energy. The demise scene felt prefer it might have been on the finish of a season as a really climactic second. I am nonetheless questioning if the present ought to have been divided into two components and divided in between this level. Rosalind and her story as an entire sadly looks like leftovers from season 1 and never in a very smart way both. It looks like the writers had a much bigger function in thoughts for her when season 1 ended and finally simply determined to eliminate her. It is odd they solid Miranda Richardson a usually extra well-known actress for season 2 however did not fairly give her a lot time because the lead villain.
Sebastian Valtor :
The principle villain of the season appears to be the stay motion collection model of the villain from the animated collection Valtor. Within the present Sebastian was a narcissistic villain prepared to homicide many so he might attain as a lot energy as attainable. Valtor is without doubt one of the most iconic Winx villains so I hope they a minimum of introduce the extra correct vampire aesthetic character finally Sebastian is nice as a nod to that villain however underwhelming if that is all that comes from Valtor within the stay motion adaptation.
While his defeat by the women within the collection was a factor of visible colourful magnificence VFX sensible, I feel this present is severely missing within the magical energy battle division. At any time when characters are utilizing their magic towards one another it would not fairly really feel as epic because it ought to as a result of it ends so rapidly and there is not a lot executed past characters tossing their magic at one another. The present has the proper components for what might have been an appointment tv collection e.g… if it had been made like a HBO television collection for instance nevertheless it feels very restricted in scope for budgetary causes. The ultimate battle with the Blood witches felt virtually like an excuse to simply finish the collection with one other hand at hand motion sequence with the Specialists and the varsity being attacked but once more similar to season 1 with the burned ones.
A Season Divided :
1. The solid proceed to be a spotlight of the collection , I actually want they got higher materials to work with.
2. The present is a bit uneven this season. The second half as soon as the principle villain Sebastian is revealed is basically good however then the season ends quickly afterwards. It ends with a really attention-grabbing setup for subsequent season. The finale is a very good episode for the present.
3. I beloved the facility development of our principal characters which we see fairly just a few instances reminiscent of Aisha having the ability to use her powers actually successfully to assist rescue Silver within the first episode.
4. The visible results for the collection are typically actually good. The VFX for the wings are lovely however as a suggestion, I truly want that they had adopted a mixture of sensible results for them and VFX e.g… truly assemble actual animatronic wings for the women the manufacturing staff can management manually to create an impact of the women wings transferring to make them look a bit extra actual. The Jim Henson Firm might undoubtedly have pulled one thing like that off.
5. I like that the present has male fairies and feminine specialists within the combine however I want they’d truly discover what meaning within the context of the world within the present. The one distinguished male fairy character we’ve got with a considerably essential supporting function is Sam as Musa’s boyfriend and Terra’s brother.
6. I am glad they removed the pointless stereotypical teen Sky drama between Bloom and Stella, that was one thing that made the primary season a little bit of a chore to look at. There may be loads of romance within the present however nothing that impacts the friendship between the women which is a superb factor.
7. Should you had been in a position to look previous the present’s flaws in season 1 to get pleasure from it, I am certain this season will likely be entertaining for you no matter it is points. The second season is a lot better than the primary even with its flaws.
The not so good :
1. I really feel just like the writers of the present do not appear to know the supply materials , the modifications made to the present from the animated collection do not appear to assist the present both. The lore of the present appears to restrict the scope of the animated collection which happened in a wholly fantastical and science-fiction primarily based universe. The present’s world consequently nonetheless feels very small and in a world the place we’ve got style reveals like Home of the Dragon, Rings of Energy, The Wheel of time, Stranger Issues and Shadow and Bone, the present is solely not in a position to enter that group to drive dialog which is unlucky as a result of it might have been that good. Winx Membership as a animated collection has some darkish parts to it whilst a children present and an entire lot of scope (a minimum of the primary 4 seasons).
2. One of many greatest points with the present is that it would not appear to know the right way to deliver out the most effective out of it’s very succesful actors. I did not like Farah Dowling a lot in season 1 , the present did not do a lot along with her and looking back I feel that was an issue with the writing not a lot the actress. I completely love Farah’s actress Eve Greatest on the Home of the Dragon as Rhaenys the Queen that by no means was. In relation to Destiny the actors are actually solely doing as a lot as they’ll with the fabric they’re given. One other actor who I feel shined far more in one other present is Kate Fleetwood (Stella’s mom on this present ) as Liandrin Guirale on The Wheel of Time. Bloom’s actress Abigail Cowen was additionally nice as Dorcas Evening on the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.
3. The present appears to not perceive what the principle draw of the Winx franchise is for followers too, the women’ friendship. This to me has been the distinction between reboots/diversifications that work and people that don’t. An important instance of that is the Peacock streaming providers Bel-Air tv collection. While The Contemporary Prince of Bel-Air was a half hour sitcom and Bel-Air is a drama the writers perceive that the core factor individuals beloved in regards to the unique collection was the principle theme of household. The friendship of the women is far more essential than the rest on this collection ( the Winx are the present). There are moments there however the friendship moments on the present appear secondary to the principle plot about large bads and no matter large villain must be defeated on the time.
4. The episode depend for the collection can be a difficulty; the present oddly feels sluggish paced and rushed all of sudden with solely seven episodes. When Aisha mentioned she had been courting her boyfriend for months and he broke her coronary heart, I used to be like wasn’t that just a few days in the past within the timeline. The shorter episode depend truly works towards the present , I feel Netflix ought to a minimum of order 12/14 episodes a season after which divide them into two components. The present has means too many characters and easily not sufficient time to present all of them nice storylines in a brief six or seven episode season.
5. Using robust language within the collection tends to really feel pressured and never fairly pure. The present feels prefer it’s usually made for a teen viewers with every part from the younger enticing solid to the CW community pop soundtrack however the addition of robust language and sexual parts really feel like they need to be in a present for older audiences. The writers indicated that they wished to make the present for individuals who watched Winx Membership as youngsters however most of these followers in all probability would have most well-liked one thing extra correct to the animated collection, for instance a present that had broad enchantment and could possibly be watched by children and fogeys.
6. I truly suppose the transformation sequences on the present can be higher and look a bit extra cinematic if the present used particular person character primarily based instrumental cinematic rating music for the characters utilizing their powers versus pop songs just like the Winx Membership animated collection (the sequences aren’t correct to the cartoon anyway). I feel this alteration would open the present as much as utilizing the transformation sequences far more than as soon as a season (as they’ve executed for the primary 2 seasons of the present). The present will not be as cinematic because it ought to really feel with its good idea , most individuals have mentioned the present looks like a CW collection however there are additionally CW collection reminiscent of Superman and Lois and Stargirl which undoubtedly look extra cinematic than Destiny.
7. The Otherworld feels a bit underdeveloped as a magical world. We spend virtually all of our time within the collection on the faculty and we havent seen any of Solaria or the royal palace in any respect so its simple to overlook that the collection takes place in a unique magical world. The present additionally hasn’t been clear in regards to the different magical creatures that inhabit the otherworld in addition to faeries , blood witches , burned ones and the scrappers.
An uneven season that begins off a bit weaker however has a stronger second half. The season is formidable however finally the episode depend would not permit it to succeed in the heights it’s so earger to soar to. The season ends nicely although and I’ll undoubtedly be trying out season 3 (if Netflix renews the present for one more season).
What did you consider the season ?
Who’s your favourite character within the present ?
Tell us within the feedback under ?