When ColourPop introduced a brand new collaboration with their Muppets vacation make-up assortment, ToughPigs writers Beth Prepare dinner and Julia Gaskill wished to strive it out. This isn’t the primary time we’ve seen Muppets make-up hit the cabinets. In October 2020, Disney collaborated with Ciaté London to launch a 6-piece Miss Piggy Assortment. And again in 2011 with the discharge of The Muppets, we received a Muppets-inspired eyeshadow palette from The Balm, a 3-piece Miss Piggy Assortment from Mac, and Muppets nail polish from O.P.I. However this new ColourPop assortment is particularly Muppets vacation themed! Does it bless us all, or does it slip and fall on the icy patch?
Right here’s what’s included on this set, and our ideas on how they’re named (sure, the names are all lowercase for some motive).
*A observe on “shimmery” vs “sparkly” vs “glittery”: sure, there’s a distinction. Shimmery is just like the shine on satin. Sparkly is like tiny pinpricks of sunshine. Glittery is like noticeably larger pinpricks of sunshine, just like the precise craft provide of glitter dumped into the make-up.
**We’ve put “nude” in citation marks as a result of that phrase is rarely relevant to all pores and skin tones.
- “glitterally obsessed” glitter gel: The promoting and sticker on the again say “it’s moi,” however the container itself says “who, moi?” The previous has extra Piggy vitality than the latter.
- 4 separate “tremendous shock shadow: extremely glitter” eyeshadows:
- “yaaaay!” [Kermit]
- “beat drums!” [Animal]
- “vacation hostess” [Piggy]
- “wocka wocka” [Fozzie]
- Eyeshadow pallet:
- “icy patch” [white with coppery glitter]: A pleasant nod to A Muppet Household Christmas.
- “meep! meep!” [shimmery, coppery orange]: After all.
- “be cool” [sparkly scarlet red]
- “celebration animal” [shimmery crimson red]
- “snow enterprise” [pale shimmery copper/‘nude’]: Most likely additionally a nod to Muppet Household Christmas. However that is Bean Bunny-colored, so it’s a missed alternative to name it “Penny for the music, gov’nor?” or “Why at present is Christmas Day!”
- “ice to see you” [shimmery, coppery brown]: Is that this a reference to one thing? Do now we have to return and watch ALL the Muppets Christmas stuff to seek out out? Nonetheless, a missed alternative to name it one thing like “The turkey’s the turkey, you turkey” or “pointless dancing gingerbread males” or “And I’m right here for the meals.”
- “stunt santa” [shimmery periwinkle blue]: Not Muppets-related? Except Gonzo is the stunt Santa?
- “winter put on” [matte navy blue]: Whereas we all the time recognize Muppet winter put on (which makes us want we had replicas of our personal we might put on, or stuffies of the Muppets IN their winter put on, we really feel like that is one other missed alternative to make this one particular to Gonzo-as-Charles-Dickens, like “Omniscience.”
- “vacation celebration time” [matte pale peach/‘nude’]: Not Muppets-related? Make this the opposite Bean Bunny shade.
- “frazzled” [sparkly pale lime green]: If that is within the Kermit line, then “frazzled” is smart as a result of he often is. However as everyone knows, Frazzle is fuzzy and orange.
- “being inexperienced” [matte Kermit-green]: As a result of they needed to.
- “festive” [glittery forest green]: Simply “festive”? Come on, do higher.
- “rejoice moi” [glittery rose pink]: You’ve used “moi” twice now for a glittery pink Piggy factor, in order that’s each a bit of redundant and a bit of complicated.
- “haute holidays” [matte rose pink, slightly peachy]: Like “high fashion,” we expect? One in all Piggy’s colours undoubtedly ought to’ve been known as “tips on how to make an entrance.”
- “peace on earth!!!” [shimmery coppery dark pink]: Supposedly in reference to Animal’s “Peace on Earth!! Gimme current,” however then why is it within the Piggy part? Possibly ought to’ve been “joi de noel” as an alternative?
- “rejoice in type” [dark maroon-ish brown]: Is smart for Piggy, however there’s already one other shade with the phrase “rejoice” within the title.
- “Glimmer lip” sheer lip colours
- “kissy kissy” [Piggy, guava pink]
- “image of pleasure” [Bunsen and Beaker, orangey peach]
- “heat up man” [Fozzie, light brown ‘nude’]
- “chill! chill! chill!” [Animal, bright red]
***With these shade swatches, remember that Beth and Julia are two white girls dwelling within the sunless Pacific Northwest and due to this fact are virtually translucent, so take that with a grain of salt.
Our preliminary ideas upon unboxing is that the packaging is very cute. Every merchandise is available in a person cardboard field, and even these are cute! Those from the “tremendous shock shadows” have these little pop-up cardboard photographs of the Muppets they’re representing, and Beth is strongly contemplating saving them to make them a part of her common vacation adorning. As soon as the bins are discarded, the Cute Packaging Award goes to the “glimmer lip” set, the place every has a printed picture of its character’s neckwear: Piggy’s pearls, Beaker’s necktie, Fozzie’s polka-dot tie, and Animal’s spiked collar and damaged chain.
When which Muppets ColourPop has chosen to symbolize, we first questioned, why no Janice? Why no Gonzo? Why is Fozzie right here?
Julia Gaskill: [after removing the swatch tests] Did the glitter come off of your arm? Cuz it looks as if the glitter simply unfold on my arm.
Beth Prepare dinner: I believe most of it got here off? Cuz there was a lot of glitter. However there’s undoubtedly nonetheless gonna be some glitter leftover for some time. Which I’m not mad at, however I’m glad that the purple pigments got here off actually simply, which isn’t all the time the case. [Granted, Beth had said reg pigments on her arm for like five minutes; it may stain more the longer you wear it.]
Julia: [applying the “being green” and “yaaaay!” eyeshadows] Oh my god, it’s so inexperienced. Oh my god… I believe the Piggy eyeshadow “vacation hostess” works fairly nicely for blush, it’s like shimmery however delicate. Versus my ****in’ eyeshadow.
Fozzie is the Muppet who I used to be like—on make-up? You understand, I get Kermit, cuz he’s the primary Muppet, he’s gonna be on all the pieces. Piggy clearly is smart. Animal is smart in a bizarre approach, cuz he’s like a rock-and-roll drummer, quite a lot of rock stars put on make-up. Fozzie I wasn’t positive, however, surprisingly, go Crew Fozzie, I suppose.
Beth: We’ve got not but tried the glitter gel—ohhh, my goodness. So, talking of the totally different sorts of glitter on this set—
Julia: Oh my god.
Beth: The gel glitter “who, moi/it’s moi”—there’s an underlying very pale pink base, and the large chunks of glitter are, like, opalescent. Let’s see… whoo, yeah. The “who, moi/it’s moi” is for once you wanna go full glam.
Julia: It’s so glittery.
Beth: It’s so glittery. Yeah, I really feel prefer it’s in all probability gonna keep in my assortment for these “Oh s***, I should be a fairy, proper now” moments.
Julia: Yeah, you understand, going to one thing Pleasure-related.
Beth: So the lip thingies are sheer but in addition very pigmented. They usually really feel fairly hydrating, which is good. The Animal “glimmer lip” is a pleasant, true vibrant purple. And I actually just like the Beaker one on me; it’s not too orange, like I used to be frightened it may be.
Julia: [trying to take the cap off one of the lip thingies] It’s a must to screw these a lot, why is it a lot work?
Beth: Wait, subsequent time simply strive popping the cap straight off.
Julia: [tries it] Oh g&% f#@$%&*g d@&&!t.
Beth: [laughs] I did that the primary time, too, and I forgot to inform you.
Julia: Yeah, I don’t know the way I really feel in regards to the Fozzie one on me.
Beth: I really feel like if you happen to’re right into a impartial lip, like if that’s one thing you search for in make-up, then that is in all probability a great one?
Julia: Yeah, I’ve some neutrals, however I believe it’s a bit of darker than I often go.
[Beth’s afterthought on the “glimmer lip” products: What a missed opportunity for flavors! Especially for the holidays, you could do either cinnamon or cranberry for Animal, maybe champagne or rosé for Piggy, gingerbread for Fozzie, and cucumber-melon (get it, honeydew?) for Bunsen and Beaker.]
Beth: So I did an Animal look on the left facet of my face and a Piggy look on the proper facet. On the Animal facet, I’ve the “chill! chill! chill!” glimmer lip. For blush, I used “beat drums!” And for the eyeshadow, I did a base of “be cool” after which “beat drums!” excessive of that.
Beth: On the Piggy facet, I used the “kissy kissy” lip—that’s applicable. After which I used “haute holidays” as each base blush and base eyeshadow. After which for glittery prime eyeshadow, I used “rejoice moi.” After which, for sparkly cheeks, I used the “who, moi/it’s moi.”
Julia: For my first look, I used “being inexperienced” as the bottom for my eyeshadow, and I did the “yaaaay!” over that. I used a little bit of the eyeshadow “vacation hostess” as blush, and I believe I did the Missy Piggy lip shade.
Julia: After which for the re-assessment, I did “snow enterprise” with “wocka wocka” over it for eyeshadow. I attempted the fozzie “glimmer lip,” however then I took it off earlier than I took an image and I did the Beaker one as an alternative. And I additionally threw on a bit of little bit of the “who, moi/it’s moi” on my cheeks as nicely.
Julia: Total, I believe it’s fairly stable make-up. As somebody who doesn’t use a ton of eyeshadow, glitter, or lipstick lately, you understand, it appears like one thing that if I used to be doing like a glow-up look, I undoubtedly would use these.
Beth: Yeah, identical. I’ve a number of eyeshadow palettes with many colours that I hardly ever use. I’ll take them to, like, a weekend occasion the place I costume up each night time, after which don’t contact them once more for the subsequent six months. I believe I’d maintain round one or two of those for like a last-minute “Oh, I really feel schlubby and I wanna look much less schlubby,” identical to, whoosh, out the door. I’m all the time striving to seek out garments, hair routines, pores and skin routines, and make-up which are most outcomes with minimal effort. Simply because I really feel prefer it takes a lot work already simply to keep up a human physique.
Julia: Yeah, I agree.
Beth: I can’t be bothered to do eight extra steps for the sake of wanting cute. Like, I’ll do one, possibly two extra steps for the sake of wanting cute.
Julia: Yeah, there’s a motive I don’t do a s***-ton of make-up, particularly, like, This Day and Age. I simply wanna look base degree presentable, and, you understand, if it’s a nicer occasion I’ll go a bit of bit above and past.
Beth: So you should buy any of the gadgets individually, however the entire set is $99.
Julia: You’re getting sixteen colours within the large palette, 4 people, one large factor of glitter, and 4 lip colours—that’s twenty-five totally different merchandise. That’s basically like $4 per totally different shade. I don’t use a ton of make-up, and so there are individuals who in all probability might converse higher to this, however to me it looks as if that’s a reasonably good worth for the quantity of stuff that you simply’re getting. And it’s Muppet-themed, which, you understand, is a big win.
Beth: And it’s extra Muppet-themed than I used to be anticipating. Once I was wanting on the names of the varied eyeshadows, I used to be like, “Mm, a few of these aren’t very Muppety,” however I recognize the packaging, and I’d say the one factor that may make this cooler—though in all probability dearer—is to have little mirrors in each the person eyeshadows and the eyeshadow palette.
Julia: Yeah. I suppose my solely grievance is that I believed that there was gonna be a extra various array of Muppets. Like I believed, you understand, Piggy could be all over the place. However it might’ve been like, Kermit’s on the eyeshadow, however then like Rowlf’s on the lip gloss, and extra characters are referenced within the large palette. And so, I believe that was possibly a bit of little bit of a loss, you understand, Electrical Mayhem, Rowlf, Gonzo is weirdly lacking. However there have been some good shout-outs on this palette, some good references to issues. I’m wondering if they’d anyone from the Muppets working with them.
Beth: Oh, good query.
Julia: Like, how the collab itself labored, if anyone from Disney was like, “Yeah, ‘icy patch,’ individuals are gonna love that. If you understand, you understand.”
Beth: Properly, thanks a lot for becoming a member of me at present for this fascinating journey!
Is Muppets make-up one thing we actually want? After all not. Can anybody inform it’s Muppet-themed as soon as it’s out of the container and onto your physique? Nope. Is it one thing followers need anyway, simply because? Completely! Loud, colourful, and impractical are core Muppet values.
Within the grand scheme of Muppet merchandise, we’re usually followers of something that retains the Muppets related within the wider cultural consciousness (so it’s not simply our little nook of the web attempting to determine tips on how to 3D print a Jacob Marley door-knocker). And if sparkly make-up is your factor, we are saying, go forth and get (festively) bizarre!
Click on right here to color your face on the ToughPigs discussion board!
by Beth Prepare dinner and Julia Gaskill